The print and digital versions enable more effective implementation of The ASAM Criteria® in clinical practice, resulting in measurable benefits throughout your organization
4th Edition - Digital Version
The digital version brings the full value of The ASAM Criteria to life in an engaging and accessible interface. With an intuitive, user-friendly design and practical features, the digital edition can be an essential tool for your practice.
- Custom tools to highlight and bookmark content, create notes, and organize important information into folders
- Personalized dashboard allows you to enter the textbook where you left off and offers quick access to your saved materials
- Interactive graphics and multimedia enhance the learning experience
- Contextually relevant expert videos, case studies, and resources provide insights and support for using the guidelines with your patients
- Regular updates deliver new supplementary resources as they become available
4th Edition - Print Version
The ASAM Criteria Fourth Edition is a comprehensive set of guidelines that use a holistic, person-centered approach to developing treatment plans for patients with addiction and co-occurring conditions.
The revised standards have been crafted using a rigorous methodology for scientific evidence review and consensus development. The result is an update that is easier to understand and apply for improved patient care.
New in this edition:
- Color-coding system organizes information into easily identifiable sections, facilitating quicker access to key content
- Redesigned charts and graphics distill complex concepts into simpler, clearer explanations
- Updated guidelines reflect the current state of scientific evidence and clinical practice, and integrate more person-centered considerations when assessing the level of care.
Speaking the Same Language - A Toolkit for Strengthening Patient-Centered Addiction Care in the United States.This educational toolkit includes the following topics and more:
- a comprehensive list of strategies and potential pathways that interested states can pursue for integrating The ASAM Criteria;
- an overview of existing implementation tools;
- examples from current state efforts, and model legislative, regulatory, and contractual language from which interested states can draw.
Developed by ASAM and the UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs with funding from the California Department of Health Care Services, this addiction treatment resource supports increased quality and consistency of patient assessments and individualized, patient-centered care.
Because it is paper-based, offered free to all clinicians, and can be used in many different clinical contexts, the Guide enhances the public utility of The ASAM Criteria’s multidimensional assessment approach for the addiction treatment community.
Who uses The ASAM Criteria?
Treatment Providers & Clinicians
Improve the quality of patient assessments with ASAM CONTINUUM, the only clinical decision support system for conducting an ASAM assessment. Learn more.
Apply The ASAM Criteria® in your organization, clinical practice, and service delivery through training. Enroll in our online courses today.
Certify your treatment program’s ability to deliver a specific level of care. Learn more about our Level of Care Certification.
Free Paper-Based ASAM Criteria® Paper-based Intake Assessment Guide developed by ASAM and the UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs supports increased quality and consistency of patient assessments and patient-centered care.
The ASAM Criteria Implementation Guide addresses the need of treatment programs and systems of care to have a practical tool to help implement the standards found in The ASAM Criteria® .
Administrators, Payers & Policymakers
States across the country are using The ASAM Criteria® as the foundation of efforts to improve the addiction treatment system. Find out more about state implementation.
Speaking The Same Language: A Toolkit for Strengthening Patient-Centered Addiction Care in the United States. Designed to help stakeholders establish a common framework and language across all payers, providers, and patients on describing addiction care and ensuring that care remains focused on the individualized needs of those living with SUD.
Help us ensure The ASAM Criteria® is appropriately implemented. Review our copyright guidelines and report any misuse.
Managed care entities are required to license The ASAM Criteria®. Please complete this form for more information.
Patients & Families
Access the level of care you or your loved one deserves. Find a certified residential program that meets your needs. Click here.
For Patients or Providers who are seeking information and resources regarding parity. Click here.
- Access professional resources. Free Brief Assessment to learn about what level of care might meet your needs. Click here.
ASAM Criteria 4th Edition Development
The fourth edition of The ASAM Criteria will be released in four volumes. Subsequent volumes will focus on adolescents and transition-age youth, justice-involved patients, and treatment of behavioral addictions (i.e., gambling, internet, and gaming addiction). The 4th Edition uses a rigorous methodology for evidence review and formal consensus development under the guidance of a new editorial subcommittee.