The ASAM Criteria® is the nation’s most respected, comprehensive, and widely used set of clinical standards for matching patients to the right level of care based on the severity of their disease and their multidimensional needs. The common language and universal standards set by The ASAM Criteria establish a framework to help payors and healthcare systems ensure they are offering the full continuum of care to meet patients’ needs.
However, when The ASAM Criteria is not fully implemented or used with fidelity, it can undermine patient care and compromise recovery. ASAM has a responsibility – to providers, payors, regulators, patients and their families – to ensure The ASAM Criteria continues to be equated with high-quality care proven to be effective in addiction treatment.
The following framework will be used to grant permissions for the use of ASAM’s intellectual property with disclaimers that help avoid confusion among patients, families, providers or payors. This process is part of a larger effort by ASAM to support the implementation of The ASAM Criteria standards across the addiction treatment system.
When Permissions are Required
ASAM uses permissions agreements to authorize the use of ASAM’s intellectual property. Permissions fall into four broad categories:
- Training vendors who provide training for implementing The ASAM Criteria
- Payers and managed care providers using The ASAM Criteria in utilization management and review
- Publishers republishing content from The ASAM Criteria
- Technology vendors integrating ASAM Criteria content into technology
For more information on these permission agreements, see our Permissions page.
Permission is required for:
- Reusing content from The ASAM Criteria (except what is allowed under ASAM’s Fair Use Guidelines.
- Publishing or marketing use of The ASAM Criteria (except what is allowed under ASAM’s Fair Use Guidelines.
Permission is not required to use The ASAM Criteria book in clinical decision-making if the user is not publishing or marketing their use.
Permission is not required for states or policymakers to use The ASAM Criteria in their laws or regulations.
ASAM Criteria, Fourth Edition Royalty Free Figures
The following figures from the Fourth Edition of The ASAM Criteria may be republished free of charge as long as they are properly cited and terms and conditions are accepted:
- Figure 1.2: Core Components of The ASAM Criteria
- Figure 1.6: Changes to The ASAM Criteria Dimensions in the Fourth Edition
- The ASAM Criteria Fourth Edition Dimensions
- Figure 1.7: The ASAM Criteria Dimensions and Subdimensions
- Figure 1.8: The ASAM Criteria Continuum of Care for Adult Addiction Treatment
- Figure 1.9: The ASAM Criteria Dimensional Drivers
- Figure 3.1: A Patient’s Journey Through The ASAM Criteria Continuum of Care
- Figure 15.3: Residential Treatment and Recovery Residence Continuum of Care
A licensing agreement is required for publishers and authors to re-publish any other content from The ASAM Criteria.
To download open permission figures, accept our terms and conditions and provide some contact information. A zip file of the figures will be emailed to you.
How to Seek Permission for use of The ASAM Criteria
If you are interested in seeking permission for using The ASAM Criteria, fill out the request form. The request form will ask for your intended use. Review our permissions page for more information on permission types.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org