The Journal of Addiction Medicine
Published six times per year, the Journal of Addiction Medicine is the official journal of the American Society of Addiction Medicine. It is currently ranked tenth in the Substance Abuse category of the 2012 Journal Citation Reports' Science Edition.ASAM Members Log In Here Beyond the Abstract Podcast
About the Journal of Addiction Medicine
The Journal is designed for all physicians and other mental health professionals who need to keep up-to-date with the treatment of addiction disorders. Under the guidance of an esteemed Editorial Board, peer-reviewed articles published in the Journal focus on developments in addiction medicine as well as on treatment innovations and ethical, economic, forensic, and social topics including:
- Addiction in pregnancy
- Adolescent addiction
- The drug-exposed neonate
- Neuroimaging techniques
- Treatment of special populations
- Treatment of addiction-related disorders
- Gambling addiction
- Pathophysiology of addiction
- Biological and non-biological therapies
- Issues in graduate medical education
The Journal of Addiction Medicine is seeking to expand its cadre of manuscript reviewers. We are seeking reviewers with expertise in the following areas. Stimulants, Psychiatric epidemiology, Qualitative methodology, Genetics, Neurology, Emerging substances, Kratom, Novel Psychoactive Substances, Psychedelics, New pharmaceutical treatments, Toxicology, Criminal justice and addiction medicine, Machine Learning, Pain and Palliative Care, Adolescent Medicine, Maternal Child Health and Behavioral Addictions.
Description of Reviewer Tasks:
- Receive manuscripts for blinded peer review
- Possible recommendations: reject, major revision, moderate revision, minor revision, accept
- Provide confidential comments to editor
- Provide constructive comments and suggestions to authors
- Follow reviewed manuscripts through revision process at https://www.editorialmanager.com/jam and https://wkauthorservices.editage.com/peer-reviewer-training-course/
- Graduate Degree (e.g., MA, PhD, MD, DO, PsyD)
- Submission, revision, and acceptance of at least 2 manuscripts in a peer-reviewed journal
Please send a brief letter of interest, including experience as a reviewer and your areas of expertise. Please include a current CV and, if available, a media bio link. All application materials should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “JAM Peer Reviewer” in the subject line. Unidentified applications may not be considered.
Topical Collections from the Journal
- Detoxification covers topics from opioid detoxification using nonopioid procedures to methods for addressing outpatient alcohol detoxification.
- Neurobiology features articles containing studies of brain imaging in relation to substance abuse and other health issues.
- Pharmacotherapies explores buprenorphine treatment and racemic methadone among other topics of pharmacological treatment.
- Screening and Prevention provides information on monitoring patients with substance use disorders, screening and intervening for drug use in primary care, and gender differences in standardized screening tools.
- Treatment includes articles for addressing comorbid substance use and anxiety disorders and pregnant women with opioid addiction, among other diverse cases.
Beyond the Abstract Podcast
Need help with your Journal of Addiction Medicine subscription? Call ASAM's publisher at 1.866.489.0443 or send an email to email@example.com.
Already an ASAM member?Log In and Start Reading Now!
Not an ASAM member?Join ASAM Purchase an Article Subscribe to the Journal of Addiction Medicine
Online Submission/Review System
JAM only accepts submissions via our online system. Visit http://www.editorialmanager.com/jam/ to submit articles.
To contact the journal with questions about the submission process or the publication of your paper:
Journal of Addiction Medicine
Michael A. Arends
Journal of Addiction Medicine (ISSN: 1932-0620; Online ISSN: 1935-3227) is published six times a year by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 16522 Hunters Green Parkway, Hagerstown, MD 21740-2116. Copyright © 2022 American Society of Addiction Medicine.
Annual Subscription Rates, including shipping and handling
$341 Individual Domestic (USA)
$383 International (US Dollars)
$145 Single Copy Rate
Individual subscription rates include print and access to the online version (Residents are online access only.) Institutional rates are for print only; online subscriptions are available via Ovid.
Frank J. Vocci, PhD (Acting)
Kelly Dunn, PhD
Ismene Petrakis, MD
Marcela Smid MD MA MS (Acting)
Benjamin H. Han, MD, MPH (Acting)
Debbie M. Cheng, Sc.D
Charles Maynard, PhD
Sara Lodi, PhD
Antover Tuliao, PhD
Michael A. Arends
To view the full list of the Editorial Board click here.
Senior Editor: Frank J. Vocci, PhD (interim)
Online ISSN: 1935-3227
Frequency: 6 issues/year
Impact Factor: 2.699
Review: Peer reviewed
Not a member? Subscribe Now!
Reprints of JAM journal articles provide ethical and objective substantiation for your communications with health care providers. We provide several print and electronic formats as well as custom options to help you ensure that your message reaches the health care community.
For more information, please contact:
Authors may order reprints of their own articles using the order form supplied with their proofs. Authors may also access the forms on the lww.com website.
Articles published in Journal of Addiction Medicine are available to nonsubscribers online and/or in PDF format through pay-per-view. Once purchased, articles may be accessed and downloaded for 24 hours from the time of purchase. To purchase an article, click on the "Buy" button next to the article title when it appears in a list, or the "Buy This Article" button within the article abstract.
Click here to view information about rights and permissions.