ASAM is working to bring together all addiction professionals in order to bring a cohesive voice for addiction medicine for the benefit of professionals and their patients/clients whether it is the latest in research, cutting edge treatments, or the exchange of knowledge.
The Associate Membership is open to individuals within the associated professions who teach, conduct research, or provide clinical care for individuals who are at risk for, or have, a substance use disorder.
Clinical professionals must have a master's level degree if no clinical licensure is available in their state AND must spend at least 25% of their time providing clinical care to individuals who are at risk for or have a substance use disorder.
Researchers must have a doctoral degree AND must spend at least 25% of their time on research related to addiction. See below for specific information.
$260 - National DuesJOIN ASAM
Benefits of Associate Membership
ASAM members are actively involved in treating patients with addiction or conducting research to advance the treatment of addiction. Besides being able to network with these clinicians and researchers, and share resources and best practices, here are some other benefits of becoming a member:
The Journal of Addiction Medicine
Online subscription to the peer-reviewed Journal of Addiction Medicine, published six times a year. (A top member benefit!)
Access to Tools and Resources
- The ASAM Criteria: The most widely used and comprehensive set of guidelines for placement, continued stay and transfer/discharge of patients with addiction and co-occurring disorders. The 2013 edition of the ASAM Criteria has been completely redesigned and is compliant with the DSM-5. In addition to the publication, ASAM is developing an enhanced, web-based version that offers video content and eLearning tools, along with the potential to earn CEU hours.
Guidelines: National Practice Guideline to provide information on evidence-based treatment of opioid use disorder, and is the first to address all of the FDA-approved medications available to treat addiction involving opioid use and opioid overdose in a single document.
Continuing Medical Education (CME)
Discounts on ASAM’s live and online educational courses. ASAM offers a variety of continuing education units to meet your needs, including Continuing Medical Education (CME) and credits for attendance for Continuing Education Units (CEU) credits for other clinicians.
The Annual Conference explores the latest treatments and developments in the field through engaging plenary sessions, symposia, interactive workshops, paper and poster sessions, and an exhibit hall.
The State of the Art Course reviews cutting-edge research, clinical studies, and best practices for addiction treatment from leading researchers and clinical experts from around the United States and abroad.
The Review Course in Addiction Medicine is the essential primer and preparation course for identifying and managing patients whose medical problems are caused or exacerbated by substance use disorders.
Member exclusive discounts on past courses available for download through ASAM’s e-Learning Center. Hundreds of credits are available for online courses.
- Access to ASAM’s online Career Center to post positions and search for candidates.
National and State Advocacy
- Advocate for the field of addiction medicine and patients by participating in national advocacy efforts.
In addition to the general benefits afforded to associate members, researchers can take advantage of:
- Participating in research-oriented panels and poster sessions at the ASAM Annual Conference.
- Applying to co-author or otherwise contribute to books and research sections of clinical guidelines;
- Attend networking events at the chapter and national levels, to help promote clinician-research partnerships and early clinician engagement on implementation and dissemination research grants.
- Opportunities to participate in committees and subcommittees’ work on important issues related to substance use disorder treatment and prevention, research and advocacy;
- Opportunities to help build ASAM’s Science Initiative (www.asam.org/scienceinitiative)
ASAM Associate Members come from wide variety of professions and teach, conduct research, or provide clinical care to those with addiction.
- Certified Addictions Registered Nurse (CARN)
- Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Physician Assistant (PA)
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Nurse Midwives (CNM)
- Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA)
- Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)
- Clinical Nurse Specialist in Psychiatry (Psych-CNS)
- Clinical Psychologists (PhD or PsyD)
- Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)*
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS)
- Doctor of Nursing Science (DNP or equivalent)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
- Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC)*
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
- Social Workers*
- Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD)