Because of the Generosity of our ASAM Members and Donors
ASAM continues to work toward a future when addiction prevention, treatment, remission, and recovery are accessible to all. Because of the generosity of our donors, ASAM:
- sponsored 18 Ruth Fox Scholars in 2022. The scholars are selected physicians-in-training who participate in the society’s Annual Conference and receive a complimentary three-year membership, along with exclusive discounts on live and online ASAM courses and published texts. Applications are now open for the 2023 Ruth Fox Scholarships. Please share with your colleagues!
- hosted the leading education conference on addiction medicine, in person, for over 1800 medical professionals.
- provided on-demand addiction treatment training for 114,000 users engaging in 400 hours of content through ASAM’s eLearning Center.
- conducted 30 trainings in 2022 to over 1600 live and online learners about the ASAM Criteria®, the nation’s most widely used and comprehensive set of guidelines for placement, continued stay, and transfer or discharge of patients with addiction and co-occurring conditions.
- published key resources and tools, including:
- Pocket Addiction Medicine, providing must-know information on everything from screening for and diagnosis of SUD to managing intoxication and withdrawal, to ongoing treatment of SUD; and
- Integrating Tobacco Use Disorder Interventions in Addiction Treatment, a guide for addiction treatment clinicians and programs.
- created a free ASAM Criteria® paper-based Intake Assessment Guide, a resource developed by ASAM and the UCLA Integrated Substance Abuse Programs to support increased quality and consistency of patient assessment and patient-centered care.
- developed Speaking the Same Language: A Toolkit for Strengthening Patient-Centered Addiction Care in the United States, designed to help stakeholders establish a common framework and language across all payers, providers, and patients for describing addiction care and ensuring that care remains focused on the individualized needs of those living with SUD.
- is currently developing the 4th Edition of the ASAM Criteria®.
- advocated on Capitol Hill, in partnership with the American College of Medical Toxicology, the American College of Academic Addiction Medicine, and the American Osteopathic Academy of Addiction Medicine, during the Addiction Medicine Advocacy Conference.
- launched the ASAM Weekly podcast.
- approved a new 2022-2025 ASAM Strategic Plan.
We couldn’t have undertaken these efforts without the support of our members and others who give to ASAM. Thank you for being part of ASAM’s community of hope and supporting our members as they treat addiction and save lives.
William F. Haning III, MD, DLFAPA, DFASAM
P.S. Ruth Fox Scholarship Applications are now open for 2023! Please consider sharing the application with a physician-in-training you know today and help us inspire the next generation of addiction medicine specialists!