Dedicated Addiction Leader Dr. H. Westley Clark Retires From SAMHSA

by ASAM Staff | October 14, 2014

Dr. H Westley Clark After working as Director of the Substance and Mental Health Services Administration’s Center for Substance Abuse Treatment for the last 16 years, ASAM member H. Westley Clark MD, JD, MPH, CAS, FASAM, retired on October 3rd. While searching for a new director, Daryl W. Kade has been appointed as Acting Director. ASAM is grateful to Dr. Clark for his leadership in the field of addiction medicine and for his significant contributions toward addiction treatment and recovery. We will be recognizing Dr. Clark’s achievements with the Annual Award, to be given during ASAM’s 2015 Annual Conference in April.

Dr. H. Westley Clark and ASAM leadership
ASAM attended Dr. Clark's retirement party. ASAM President-Elect, Dr Jeffrey Goldsmith, back left; Dr. H. Wesley Clark, back right; ASAM President Dr. Stuart Gitlow, front left; ASAM EVP/CEO Ms. Penny Mills, front center; ASAM Secretary, Dr. Margaret Jarvis.

1. Sonji williams Aug 09, 2017 - 03:14 PM
    I'm so desperate to get some help for my son he was ran over by a car his neck was broken in two places and he broke both his legs we have been struggling for the last 2 years and trying to find someone to help us but we can't if someone will please give us a call back at 704-689-6683 it would be greatly appreciated this situation has not called us problems just financially mentally physically socially we just don't know what to do we don't know where to turn I heard dr. TD Jakes talking about this and I just need somebody to care and to try and help me help my family please respond I'm desperate I'm at the point where I feel like why even live why should he even asked for a better quality of life when there's no one there to help him he's twenty-five years old
  2. Kingsley Reeves Apr 07, 2016 - 07:43 PM

Harry! You came a long way from Delware St, between 12th and 14th, Thirkell elem, Hutchins JH, and Cass Tech HS in Detroit. I remember you in ROTC being the M-1 disassembly champion. Worked with you at the Springwells water treatment plant. The last time I saw you was is Cambridge, Mass, you were eating pizza with me and my brother Ken during your first year at Harvard Law.

Congratulations on a stellar career. Enjoy your retirement

3. Joseph Herbin Aug 05, 2015 - 04:53 PM
    Dr Clark I can remember attending classes at UC Berkeley California, studying the pharmacological aspects, and legal aspects of substance abuse classes in 1993.. Please feel free to get in touch with me here in North Carolina, I have been speaking with David Turpin and he said that he had you speak at a seminar. 919-614-5949  Happy retirement.
  4. Bradford Barrett Jan 23, 2015 - 03:05 PM

Dr. Clark, a huge congratulations on your retirement!  You are a gentleman and a scholar and always were willing to share your knowledge at the EHR symposia I was involved with.

No one like you...we are grateful.

5. Jim O'Neil Jan 18, 2015 - 11:06 AM

I'm a disabled vet. Been clean and sober 24 years Dr Clark and his staff at the VA in S.F. Turned many Vietnam vets lives around suffering from substance and PTSD. I now help Vets purchase homes. Thank you Dr. Clark and enjoy your retirement. We'll deserved

6. Barry H. Roth, MD Oct 16, 2014 - 12:18 PM
    Blessings and Best Wishes!