Apply for a NP/PA/CRNA/CNM/CNS Waiver

Do I qualify for a NP/PA/CNS/CRNA/CNM Waiver?

A qualifying NP, PA, CRNA, CNM, and CNS must:

1. Be licensed under state law to prescribe Schedule III, IV, or V medications for pain
2. Complete no less than 24 hours of appropriate education through a qualified provider
3. Demonstrate the ability to treat and manage OUD through other training or experience

CARA and SUPPORT (HR6) Legislation
The Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act (2016) expands access to substance use treatment services and overdose reversal medications by extending the privilege of prescribing buprenorphine in office-based settings to qualifying nurse practitioners and physician assistants.

HR6 (2018) further expanded access to substance use treatment services by adding qualifying clinical nurse specialists, certified registered nurse anesthetists, and certified nurse midwives to list of practitioners eligible to prescribe buprenorphine.

How do I Apply for My Waiver?

  1. Complete Notification of Intent.

    Fill out your Notification of Intent Form by clicking here. Applications are sent directly to the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (CSAT).

  2. Upload Certificate(s).

    You are now able to upload your course certificate(s) (provided at the end of the ASAM training in the e-Learning Center or AANP CE Center) directly in the NOI Form. You must provide a copy of your certificate in order for your application to be processed.

Contacting CSAT About an Application

SAMHSA reviews applications within 45 days of receipt. SAMHSA will send an email containing a letter of waiver confirmation with an NP or PA’s assigned special identification number to use when prescribing within this timeframe.

If it has been longer than 45 days since a provider submitted their application, or they did not receive confirmation of receipt upon submission, please contact CSAT here:


CSAT Buprenorphine Information Center: 886.BUP.CSAT (866.287.2728)