Program Manager, Health Technology
Date: January 25, 2022
Position Title: Program Manager, Health Technology
Reports To: Sr. Director, Health Technology
ASAM is a professional medical society representing over 7,000 physicians, clinicians and associated professionals in the field of addiction medicine. ASAM is dedicated to increasing access and improving the quality of addiction treatment, educating physicians and the public, supporting research and prevention, and promoting the care of patients with addiction.
The Health Technology team in ASAM’s Quality and Science Department is seeking an individual to accelerate the American Society of Addiction Medicine’s (ASAM) efforts to transform and improve the quality of addiction treatment. ASAM’s health technology team manages tools that support implementation of The ASAM Criteria®, the nation’s most widely used set of guidelines for treating patients with addiction. ASAM has developed the ASAM CONTINUUM™ and ASAM CO-Triage®, first-of-their-kind research-validated technologies that provide clinical decision support for determining the appropriate level of treatment for patients with addiction. ASAM CONTINUUM and CO-Triage assess patients with addictive, substance-related, and co-occurring conditions. Use of the tool is rapidly growing across the country, and we are seeking an individual to join the team at an exciting time of growth. The Program Manager role is a high visibility role that will oversee implementations of ASAM’s health IT suite of products for major treatment systems. This position will serve at the center of technology innovation and project delivery. You will combine business acumen, leadership, organization, and technical skills to focus on project strategy development and execution. It provides a unique opportunity to work at the intersection of the evolving field of addiction medicine public health, technology, and clinical research.
The Program Manager, Health Technology will also work closely with ASAM committees, ASAM’s Quality Improvement Council, ASAM experts, ASAM’s primary technical partner, ASAM CONTINUUM™ Chief Architect, the Editor-in-Chief of the ASAM Criteria, and other members of the ASAM staff. Candidates must quickly develop an understanding of programmatic needs and be able to set priorities in work assignments.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Manage and lead multi-disciplinary project teams (including technical teams) through all phases of the project life cycle, providing leadership and motivation.
- Conduct requirements-gathering, scoping, and planning to solve client-specific needs.
- Manage multiple vendor and client relationships simultaneously on projects.
- Develop gap analyses, functional specifications, and manage project schedules and milestones.
- Establish and refine programmatic best practices and forward-looking strategy.
- Work closely with Associate Director, Health Technology, Manager, Health Technology, and external stakeholders to identify resources, assemble project teams, and delegate clinical and project training responsibilities.
- Support external physician subject matter experts and technical development team.
- Work closely with Senior Director, Health Technology on product strategy.
- Establish feedback mechanisms to ensure client updates are released on schedule and communicated appropriately.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college of university
- 1 – 2 years relevant work experience in healthcare, life sciences, or a software development company
- Prior experience managing projects involving technology
- Solid project manager. Proven project management and organizational skills and can effectively manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Working knowledge of and comfort with health technology such as electronic health record systems
- Ability to work independently and manage own workload, as well as an openness to collaborate on other key program deliverables
- Clear communicator. Clear and succinct communications; easy adjustment to different communication settings and styles; confidence in engaging at all levels across multiple stakeholder groups.
- Team Player. Cooperates easily with staff, vendors, and members; understands the concerns and needs of others and realistically manage expectations.
- Problem solver. Enjoys solving a variety of problems; innovative and technically creative and provide sensible solutions for IT needs. No task is too big or too small.
- Service-oriented. Responsive and committed to working hard to address the end user needs.
Benefits of Working at ASAM:
- ASAM’s work helps address the vast national crisis of opioids and addiction
- ASAM enjoys a strong organizational culture, living by values determined by staff of open collaboration, trust, courage, and connectedness
- SAM is proud to have earned the Sloan Award for Excellence in Workplace Effectiveness and Flexibility
- ASAM offers competitive compensation (commensurate with experience) and benefits that include paid vacation and sick leave, transportation reimbursement, medical insurance, and 401k.
Recruiting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience (with a robust benefits package)
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter to hr@ASAM.org explaining your interest in the position and how your skills match the position.
ASAM provides equal opportunity to all staff. No person shall be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, physical handicaps, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or any other category that is protected by federal law or the laws of the state of Maryland.