Director, Membership & Engagement
Date: March 15, 2023
Position Title: Director, Membership & Engagement
Reports To: Vice President, Governance & Membership
ASAM is a medical professional society with over 7,000 members, 60+ staff and a $11M annual operating budget. It is an energetic, fast-paced organization providing support for the practice of addiction medicine to physicians and care team members.
The Director of Membership & Engagement is works collaboratively across the organization to develop ASAM’s membership strategy to generate awareness, increase engagement, grow member segments, and derive revenue from ASAM’s membership programs. This role is responsible for generating approximately 20% of the society’s revenue.
- Ensure the integrity of records in the Association Management System, for the accuracy of reports generated from the system and for communicating enhancements and updates to staff.
- Identify target audiences and opportunities to penetrate and grow ASAM’s market reach for member acquisition.
- Develop and implement membership recruitment and retention strategies, including value/benefits packages and enhancements to member experiences.
- Develop and facilitate member engagement.
- Manage analysis, interpretation and reporting of campaign, program metrics and performance.
- Provide strategic direction and oversee the management of ASAM’s Online Communities.
- Oversee and/or provide liaison activities for councils and committees.
- Prepare financial assumptions, develop budgets, review monthly statements, build financial projections and manage revenue and expenses to achieve targets.
- Oversee and manage reconciliation and financial reports from the accounting system to the association management system and participate in preparation of annual audits.
- Generate membership renewal billing.
- Lead staff team to effectively market, communicate and promote the value of ASAM membership and develop associated customer service protocols.
- Train, mentor and develop staff team to produce results in an efficient manner.
- Guide the daily operations to provide learning opportunities and challenges for continued staff growth and achievement.
- Monitor performance and attainment of staff goals and provide ongoing feedback.
- Celebrates successes and provides appropriate recognition to others.
- Must have at least 5 years of association management experience with previous experience in a Membership leadership role.
- At least 2 years of direct supervisory experience.
- Advanced level of experience with Association Management Software (AMS).
- Proven success creating and managing budgets and meeting financial targets.
- Highly skilled as advanced user of Microsoft Excel
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Teams.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience with MemberSuite (AMS) is desirable.
- CAE and/or Medical society experience desirable.
- Knowledge of Higher Logic Community Platform.
- Experience with TeamWork application.
Skills and Abilities:
- Able to synthesize complex or diverse information and present data effectively.
- Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent organizational skills including setting priorities in work assignments, coordinating projects, and following up on assignments.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with ability to interact effectively, efficiently and professionally with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent written, organizational, communication and customer service skills are required.
- Represents ASAM as needed at national events; able to travel 10-15% of time
- Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust; Mobilizes and motivates others to fulfill the vision.
Benefits of Working at ASAM:
- ASAM’s work with physicians and clinicians helps millions of patients, families, and communities impacted by addiction.
- ASAM’s work helps address the vast national crisis of opioids and addiction.
- ASAM enjoys a strong organizational culture, living by staff-defined values of open collaboration, trust, courage, and connectedness.
- ASAM is proud to have earned the Sloan Award for Excellence in Workplace Effectiveness and Flexibility.
- ASAM offers competitive compensation and benefits that include paid vacation, holiday, volunteer, and sick leave, medical, dental and vision insurance, and a robust 401k plan with employer matching.
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to hr@ASAM.org explaining your interest in the position and how your skills match the position.
Recruiting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience (with a robust benefits package)
ASAM provides equal opportunity to all staff. No person shall be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, physical handicaps, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or any other category that is protected by federal law or the laws of the state of Maryland.