Coordinator/Specialist, Quality and Science
Date: June 15, 2022
Position Title: Coordinator/Specialist, Quality and Science
Reports To: Associate Director, Quality and Science
ASAM is a medical professional society of more than 6,700 members with a total staff of 50+ and a $10M annual operating budget. It is an energetic, fast-paced organization with multi-faceted opportunities in addiction medicine. ASAM is currently operating under a hybrid work plan.
The Coordinator/Specialist, Quality and Science, will support the successful development and maintenance of The ASAM Criteria®, the most widely used and comprehensive set of guidelines for treating patients with addiction and co-occurring conditions. Since the release of the 3rd Edition in 2013, there has been widespread adoption of The ASAM Criteria by treatment programs as well as payers and managed care organizations, and many states across the country are using these standards as the foundation of efforts to improve their addiction treatment systems. Currently and throughout 2022, ASAM staff and contractors are working with a team of volunteer expert editors as well as sixteen volunteer expert writing groups focusing on different topics to be incorporated into the new edition of The ASAM Criteria for adults. Additional volumes of the criteria (adolescent, criminal justice, and behavioral addictions) will be developed following completion of the adult criteria.
This position will report to the Associate Director, Quality and Science, and will provide administrative support and assist with project management for the staff and contractors working with the editorial team and various writing groups. The Coordinator/Specialist will work closely with other members of the Quality and Science Department and to some extent with the external contractors contributing to this project. This position requires commitment to facilitating smooth, efficient project management by planning carefully, anticipating needs, and providing responsive, reliable assistance. A strong candidate for this position will be adaptable, proactive, supportive, and detail oriented.
- Provide administrative and project management support for the development of ASAM standards and guidelines, such as the ASAM Criteria including:
- Managing communications
- Keeping records and reports up to date
- Organizing and scheduling meetings
- Maintaining an organized file system
- Documenting meeting minutes
- Support the creation of writing groups for future guidelines and standards development efforts:
- Drafting and sending invites
- Tracking and following up on responses
- Collecting, documenting, and compiling conflict-of-interest and disclosure forms
- Creating groups in association management system
- Saving and organizing files and serving as point of contact for inquiries
- Coordinate activities of the ASAM Criteria editorial team with the various writing groups to ensure completion of draft standards by deadlines.
- Support work to engage the public, ASAM members, and key stakeholder groups (e.g., federal agencies, professional societies, patient advocacy groups) in providing feedback on ASAM standards, including updating contact information, record-keeping, and tracking feedback and questions received.
- Assist with facilitating processes for review and approval of ASAM standards and guidelines by various ASAM Committees, the ASAM Quality Improvement Council, and the ASAM Board of Directors.
- Support ongoing activities of the ASAM’s Quality and Science Department.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with MS Office products (MS Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams)
- Administrative experience and/or experience supporting project management
- Experience in an association or nonprofit (preferably medical) environment
- Knowledge or experience related to public health and/or behavioral healthcare
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be organized and detail oriented
- Team player flexible to working with different staff, vendors, and members
- Resourceful, proactive, and flexible
- Project coordination skills and responsiveness to project deadlines
- Comfortable working with senior management and association leadership
Works closely with:
- Associate Director, Quality and Science
- Senior Manager, Quality and Science
- ASAM staff, Quality and Science Department
- ASAM contractors
- ASAM Criteria 4th Editorial Team and Writing Groups
Benefits of Working at ASAM:
- ASAM’s work with physicians and clinicians helps millions of patients, families, and communities impacted by addiction
- ASAM’s work helps address the vast national crisis of opioids and addiction
- ASAM enjoys a strong organizational culture, living by values determined by staff of open collaboration, trust, courage, and connectedness
- ASAM is proud to have earned the Sloan Award for Excellence in Workplace Effectiveness and Flexibility
- ASAM offers competitive compensation (commensurate with experience) and benefits that include paid vacation and sick leave, transportation reimbursement, medical insurance, and 401k
To Apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to hr@ASAM.org.
ASAM provides equal opportunity to all staff. No person shall be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, physical handicaps, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or any other category that is protected by federal law or the laws of the state of Maryland.