Clinical Algorithm Scientist
Date:November 9, 2023
Position Title: Clinical Algorithm Scientist
Reports To: Chief Quality & Science Officer
The American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) is a medical professional society of over 6,000 members with 50+ staff and a $10M annual operating budget. It is an energetic, fast-paced organization with multi-faceted opportunities in the area of addiction medicine.
This position will be responsible for developing, validating, and ensuring continuous quality improvement of clinical decisionmaking algorithms to support implementation of the ASAM Criteria. The position will also contribute to the development and adaptation of dimensional admission criteria and assessment standards for special populations such as adolescents and for co-occurring addictive disorders (e.g., behavioral addictions). Additionally, the position will provide support with medical writing as needed for ASAM Criteria volumes and related products.
- Support development of/updates to dimensional admission criteria and clinical algorithms for implementation of The ASAM Criteria
- Support development and product improvement for ASAM-endorsed assessment tools, including ASAM Criteria Navigator, ASAM Continuum, ASAM Criteria Assessment Interview Guide, and other products that continue to be developed
- Develop and implement strategies to validate implementations of ASAM Criteria algorithms
- Work with researchers and research funding organizations to encourage research on validation of ASAM Criteria assessment tools and algorithms
- Support writing of ASAM Criteria chapter narratives for adolescents and behavioral addictions
- Master's Degree
- Experience developing and validating clinical algorithms
- Expert knowledge of the addiction treatment and/or behavioral health fields
- 10 years of experience in scientific or health related field
- Experience in implementation of health information technology tools
- Clinical experience with addiction treatment and/or behavioral health fields
- Expertise with medical/scientific writing
Skills and Abilities:
- Results-driven focus. Ability to manage through ambiguity and easily shift gears, reprioritize, and stay focused on outcomes to consistently achieve results, even under tough circumstances.
- Project manager. Effectively allocate and optimize resources, assign responsibility, manage timelines, reduce risks, and get the project done.
- Team builder. Strong commitment to working as both a leader and team player to motivate others to action to achieve common goals.
- Problem solver. Understands the big picture and can easily recognize challenges before they occur. Ability to make sense of complex, and sometimes contradictory, information to effectively solve problems.
- Collaborative approach. Work cooperatively, seeking to understand concerns and realistically manage expectations by finding common ground and building consensus for workable solutions.
- Respectful. Approachable and responsive. Knowledge and ability to communicate clearly.
Works closely with:
- ASAM Chief Quality and Science Officer
- ASAM Senior Director, Science
- ASAM Clinical Algorithm Analyst
- The ASAM Criteria Strategy Steering Committee
- The ASAM Criteria editors and authors
- ASAM Director of Health Technology
- ASAM staff, Quality and Science
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in this position and how your skills match the position to the following address: https://recruiting.myapps.paychex.com/appone/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=5906291
Recruiting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience (with a robust benefits package)
ASAM provides equal opportunity to all staff. No person shall be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, physical handicaps, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or any other category that is protected by federal law or the laws of the state of Maryland.