Become an Associate Member Today!
ASAM is working to bring together all addiction professionals in order to bring a cohesive voice for addiction medicine for the benefit of professionals and their patients/clients whether it is the latest in research, cutting edge treatments, or the exchange of knowledge.
The Associate Membership is open to individuals who teach, conduct research or provide clinical care for individuals who are at risk for, or have a substance use disorder.
Approved professionals must have a state clinical license or equivalent master's level certification if no clinical licensure is available in their state AND must spend at least 25% of their time providing clinical care to individuals who are at risk for or have a substance use disorder.
Benefits of Associate Membership
Just like you, ASAM members are actively involved in treating patients with addiction. Besides being able to network with these doctors and share resources and best practices, here are some other benefits of becoming a member:
The Journal of Addiction Medicine
Online subscription to the peer-reviewed Journal of Addiction Medicine, published six times a year. (A top member benefit!)
Access to Tools and Resources
- The ASAM Criteria, the most widely used and comprehensive set of guidelines for placement, continued stay and transfer/discharge of patients with addiction and co-occurring disorders. The 2013 edition of the ASAM Criteria has been completely redesigned and is compliant with the DSM-5. In addition to the publication, ASAM is developing an enhanced, web-based version that offers video content and eLearning tools, along with the potential to earn CEU hours.
- Principles of Addiction Medicine: The Essentials: Carefully distilled from the authoritative resource on addiction medicine, Principles of Addiction Medicine, 4th Edition, this book provides a quick reference on virtually all addiction medicine topics. This handbook offers up-to-date, clinically relevant information in a clear and concise form for a wide variety of practitioners.
Continuing Medical Education (CME)
Discounts on ASAM’s live and online educational courses. ASAM offers a variety of continuing education units to meet your needs, including Continuing Medical Education (CME) and credits for attendance for Continuing Education Units (CEU) credits for other clinicians. ASAM’s live courses include:
- The Annual Conference, which explores the latest treatments and developments in the field through engaging plenary sessions, symposia, interactive workshops, paper and poster sessions, and an exhibit hall.
- The State of the Art Course in Addiction Medicine, which reviews cutting-edge research, clinical studies, and best practices for addiction treatment from leading researchers and clinical experts from around the United States and abroad.
- The Review Course in Addiction Medicine, the essential primer and preparation course for identifying and managing patients whose medical problems are caused or exacerbated by substance use disorders.
- Member exclusive discounts on past courses available for download through ASAM’s e-Learning Center. Up to 300 credits available for online courses.
- Access to ASAM’s online Career Center to post positions and search for candidates.
- Participation in ASAM’s online Member Community to network and share resources with other members.