Emerging Problems and Advances in Addiction Treatment
The landscape of the field of addiction medicine is ever-changing. With new drugs of abuse emerging across all demographics, shifting legislative and regulatory initiatives, and a rapid evolution in standards and practice, the addiction specialist must be prepared to navigate new and challenging terrain. ASAM assembled experts and leaders in addiction medicine to identify the critical issues that will define a roadmap for exploring "Emerging Problems and Advances in Addiction Treatment."
ASAM's State of the Art Course in Addiction Medicine is designed specifically for the physician or other health care professional who seeks an advanced level of knowledge about recent breakthroughs in understanding, preventing, diagnosing and treating addiction and co-occurring medical and psychiatric disorders.
- Emerging Drugs of Abuse
- Changing Marijuana Laws
- Trends in Biomarkers and Screening
- Understanding the Importance of Alcohol Pharmacotherapy
- Current Issues from Federal Agencies
- Best Practice Guidelines for the Use of Opioid Medications
- Behavioral Interventions in Addiction Medicine
- The Affordable Care Act and Your Practice
- Past, Present and the Future of the DSM
- Standards for Addiction Specialist Physicians
- Launch of the ASAM Criteria: Treatment Criteria for Substance-Related and Co-Occurring Conditions.
ASAM works in close partnership with the key federal agencies with purview over public policy, research and treatment of addiction:
- Center for Substance Abuse Prevention (CSAP/SAMHSA)
- Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (CSAT/SAMHSA)
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
"The Nation's premiere conference on the science of addiction, taught by the Nation's leading addiction clinicians and researchers.”
ASAM's bi-annual State of the Art Course provides attendees with cutting-edge information and insights into developments in the field. Course benefits include:
- Three-day curriculum that showcases national experts and top leaders of federal agencies
- Cutting-edge research, clinical studies and best practices in addiction medicine
- Exclusive limited offering once every two years to ensure each event presents true advances in the field
- Special audience interactions in a single plenary session
- Extensive syllabus in print and electronic form
The goal of ASAM's Course on the State of the Art Course in Addiction Medicine is to present the most up-to-date information on the science of addiction and the practice of addiction medicine. Program sessions will focus on the latest research into the causes, prevention and treatment of addictive disorders, and will translate the research findings into clinically useful knowledge. The course also provides an opportunity for participants to interact with leading researchers and clinical experts from around the U.S. and abroad.
ER/LA Opioid REMS Course
Join us on Thursday, October 24th from 6:15 pm - 9:30 pm for the ER/LA Opioid REMS: Achieving Safe Use While Improving Patient Care course. This course was developed by nationally renowned experts in the ER/LA opioid field. ASAM’s REMS course is CO*RE-branded material, but will also include a special focus on addiction medicine. Utilizing dynamic media presentation tools, this critical content will be presented through a variety of formats including lecture, case study, interactive audience response activities, and open discussion. Participants can earn up to 3 AMA PRA Category 1 CME credit(s)™ upon completion of the course assessment and evaluation.
There are no fees for ASAM’s ER/LA Opioid REMS course but all attendees must register in advance or on site. Click here for more details.
ASAM Legislative Day
Note: Registration will close Friday, October 11th at 5:00 pm.
Join ASAM members for the 8th Annual Legislative Day on Wednesday, October 23, 2013. Meet with your members of Congress on Capitol Hill. Your vote matters; let your voice be heard. Click here for details.
Note: Legislative Day Registration does not include Full Course Registration and/or Full Course Registration does not include Legislative Day.
As an ACCME accredited provider of continuing medical education, The American Society of Addiction Medicine complies with the Standards for Commercial Support issued by the ACCME and requires disclosure of and resolution of any conflicts of interest for those in control of content.
2013 State of the Art in Addiction Medicine Course
Visit ASAM’s e-Live Learning Center to access content from the State of the Art in Addiction Medicine course and earn up to 20.5 CME credits from the comfort of your home or office. These sessions are free for attendees of 2013 State of the Art course, or may be purchased for as little as $120 per session for ASAM members or $140 for non-members.
ASAM Meetings Department
American Society of Addiction Medicine
4601 North Park Avenue, Upper Arcade Suite 101
Chevy Chase, MD 20815-3920