- increase access to and improve the quality of addiction treatment;
- to educate physicians (including medical and osteopathic students), other health care providers and the public;
- to support research and prevention;
- to promote the appropriate role of the physician in the care of patients with addiction;
- and to establish addiction medicine as a specialty recognized by professional organizations, governments, physicians, purchasers and consumers of health care services, and the general public
ASAM’s Core Purpose
To improve the care and treatment of people with the disease of addiction and advance the practice of Addiction Medicine.
ASAM’s Core Values
Leadership: Evidenced in optimism about change, promoting the mission, acceptance of the achievable, and perseverance in pursuit of the desired future.
Integrity: Evidenced in dedication to the service and spirit of optimal medical care of the disease of addiction and its complications.
Respect: Evidenced in empathy for the human condition and uncompromised commitment to those affected by addictive illness.
Openness: Evidenced in inclusion of a diversity of medical specialists among our members and a diversity of treatments to assist our patients.
Advocacy: Evidenced in boldly speaking up on behalf of persons with the disease of addiction, including impaired health care professionals.
Connectedness: Evidenced in collegiality among members whenever we meet, and in synergistic collaborations with other organizations to achieve our goals.